How long will it take to get my property online?

From the moment you complete our terms of business and instruct us to advertise your property we work hard to prepare your advert.

Before we can advertise your property we are required to perform certain checks such as ensuring that your property has an up to date EPC. Generally however, we can have your property advertised on all the major portals within 72 hours.

Can I edit my ad once it’s gone live?

Yes. To edit your advert details you will need to contact your dedicated agent and let them know the changes you wish to make. We will then strive to include all ammendments within 48 hours of you notifying us of them.

What areas do you advertise property in?

Marlou Property operate mainly in Gloucestershire covering the whole of the county as local experts however we can market property nationally. If your property is located outside of Gloucestershire please contact us on 07826 514634 or email us at info@marlouproperty.co.uk to find out more.

What if I Am With Another Agent?

If your property is already being marketed with another agent it is possible that you will have entered in to a contract with them. Some agents use a “Sole Agent” contract which means you will not be able to use multiple agents to let your property.

You will need to check in the contract to see if the agent has sole letting rights over your property. If not you can instruct Marlou Property to let your property also.

We never use sole agent contracts.

If your property is managed by another agent and you wish to change your agent to Marlou Property, we will take care of the whole transfer of agent on your behalf. At the time of instruction, all you need to do is let us know who the agent is and the contact details of the person you normally deal with and we will take care of all the rest, including collecting the keys for the property.

What is required before I rent my property?

There are many laws relating to private property rental. Below are some of the main things you will need to comply with when renting a property.

Energy Performace Certificate (EPC)

By law a landlord needs to be in the possession of an EPC when they put their property up for rent. An EPC is valid for 10 years. The landlord pays for the EPC and an electronic copy is sent to the landlord so that they can use it as they please.

We can organise this for you for a fee of £60.00 plus the cost of the certificate

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

For all rental property, the regulations require that work to gas appliances and fittings shall be carried out by a competent and suitably qualified engineer who is Gas SAFE registered. Furthermore gas appliances and flues in rented accommodation must be checked for safety within 12 months of being installed and thereafter at least every twelve months by a competent gas SAFE registered engineer.

A copy of the safety check record or certificate must be given to any new tenant before the tenant occupies the premises to which the record relates. Also, a copy of the new record must be given to each existing tenant within 28 days of the annual check.

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended)

Most new furniture is marked with a display label (a triangle with a smoking cigarette) to show that it complies with this regulation. There should also be a permanent and non-detachable label stating compliance. Bed bases and mattresses are not required to bear a permanent label but compliance will be indicated if the item has a label stating that it meets BS7177. The aim of the regulation is to improve safety by requiring all furniture and furnishings in rented properties to meet the “match test” or “cigarette test”.

The regulations apply to all upholstery and upholstered furniture and loose fittings, permanent or loose covers including: beds, mattresses, pillows, armchairs and scatter cushions.

You therefore need to replace non-conforming items or let your property on an unfurnished / part furnished basis. Carpets and curtains are not covered by the regulations.

The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994

The regulations state that all electrical equipment supplied is safe. However there is little detail in the act as to what the definition of “safe” is.

The least that you need to do is to check all appliances between tenancies for obvious signs that they are unsafe such as frayed wiring or badly fitted plugs. If you are letting a property for the first time it is advisable to ensure that any electrical items supplied are new or carry or are marked with the appropriate CE symbol. The Regulations require that any equipment supplied in the EEC after 9th January 1995 shall be marked with the appropriate CE symbol

Where the safe use of the equipment relies upon the user being aware of any particular characteristic the information should be provided, normally in the form of an instruction book.

What about referencing my tenants?

It is a part of our terms and conditions that we reference your tenants for you and is included in all our services. We will conduct an enhanced referencing procedure of your tenants that includes a credit search, employment check and previous landlords references. Should any tenant not meet the referencing criteria, we will seek appropriate guarantors for the tenancy using a deed of guarantee.

Any tips on presenting my property?

Due to the fast paced nature of the lettings market, a well presented property can make all the difference in converting a viewing to a successful offer on your property. The tips below could help make your property more desirable to potential tenants and help let your property quicker.

·         Give the whole property a good clean, spend as much time as possible making the place feel and smell clean.

·         Cluttered work surfaces should never be seen. If you have any rubbish in the property or any cleaning products left over, remove them

·         Rectifying and putting right any minor repairs would be advised. Although it’s minor to you it may be a major turn off for your potential tenants.

·         If you have the time and money we always suggest neutral colours throughout the property to enable it to be seen as a blank canvas.

·         If there have been pets in the property, make sure they are out for the viewing, as much as we love our pets others may not!

·         Fill the property with clean smells, if there have been animals in the property, it may be good to get some sort of air fresheners or neutralisers, in fact it’s always great whether with or without animals for a property to smell fresh and clean.

·         Hang up any towels in the bathroom and remove mould from shower/bath recesses.

·         Hoover those carpets and polish that wood.

·         Wash windows inside and out bring in the light!

·         If you have the extra cash a bunch of flowers always brightens any room.

·         The front of the house must have curb appeal. Clean up unwanted weeds, give it a sweep add some plants or paint your old gate.

·         The rear view, if you are lucky enough to have a garden make sure it is clean, prospective tenants need to visualise at least the size and usability. If you can afford to put plants and dress it with garden furniture, then do so, if not make sure paths are scrubbed and clean. Visualisation is essential.

·         It’s good to ask another persons perhaps a neighbour or friend some one who doesn’t have the emotional ties. Do they want to go in? Would they like to look around? Does it look impressive?

What is an EPC and do I need one?

Energy Performance Certificates are compulsory for all properties that are built, rented or sold since October 2008 and to advertise a property with Marlou Property we require you to upload an EPC within 5 days of your advert being submitted.

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a record of the actual and potential energy saving aspects of a particular property and the properties energy performance is rated in terms of energy used per sq metre of floor area, energy efficiency based on fuel costs and environmental impact based on carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.

If you don’t have a current EPC, Marlou Property can organize one for you using our specialist EPC contractors. Give us a call on 07826 514634 or email us at <a href=”mailto:info@marlouproperty.co.uk”>info@marlouproperty.co.uk</a> to find out more.

Why does a tenancy deposit require protecting?

In April 2007 it became law that all tenancy deposits for private residential property required protecting under a Government approved scheme. Failure to protect a tenancy deposit can result in the court ordering you to repay up to 3 times the deposit value to your tenants.

Marlou Property use the Deposit Protection Service to protect tenancy deposits and deposit protection is included in all of our fully managed services or can be added to our ‘Fully Let’ services for an additional fee of £10.00

Where do you advertise?

The property market has changed drastically over the last few years with the development of the internet and online advertising.

We take advantage of this by advertising your property in as many places as possible to gain you the most exposure possible. The main places that we advertise are;


Rightmove are the “UK’s Number 1 Property Website” with over 10 million searches per month from people in the UK searching for property to rent.

Rightmove is ranked in the top 5 websites visited in the UK and it is clear to us that it is the most important place to advertise property.


Launched in 2008 Zoopla quickly rose to be generally recognized as Britain’s second largest property website with over 10 million property searches every month.

Prime Location

Attracting more than 5 million visitors a month, Prime Location is a well-established property website that we feel is essential to gaining your property maximum exposure


Gumtree is the UK’s number one classifieds site, spanning 48 cities across the UK and Ireland with some 34,000 new adverts each day and an impressive 13.7 million visitors every month. With this much internet traffic your property is guaranteed to get extra exposure

Social Media

The use of social media has grown dramatically in the last 5 years with the most well-known sites such as Facebook and Twitter gaining more than 100 million visits every day. As a local agent we gain a lot of exposure to local people on social media and use this as a tool to market your property.

Other places we advertise

Homes 24
Find a Property
Need a Property
Property Index
Hot property
Up My Street
Times Online
The Telegraph
UK Property Portal
You Tube
Marlou Property.

Do you deal with commercial property?

Sorry, we do not deal with commercial property at this time.

Can I use Marlou Property and my local lettings agent?

Yes. We do not have any sole agent clauses in our agreements and are happy for you to use your local agent alongside us

Can I use Marlou Property whilst advertising my property myself?

Yes. You are welcome to advertise your property for yourself.

What do I do if I let my property for myself?

If you successfully let your property for yourself, outside of Marlou Property, all you need to do is let us know by calling 07826 514634 or emailing us at info@marlouproperty.co.uk and we will cancel your advert.

I run a small lettings agency. Can I use you to advertise on the big portals?

Sorry, no. We can only advertise on behalf of private landlords, not agents.

Do you have Client Money Protection Insurance?

Unfortunately we do not offer Client Money Protection Insurance at this time however we intend to provide this service in the very near future